<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Top 10 Games of 2006 and More 

Now that 2006 is over with, time for me to give my list of my favorite games of the year. I try to keep it to only games released this year but I'm making an exception.

10. Star Fox Command (DS) - A return to the flying excellence of the series while throwing in a strategy gameplay that is also very enjoyable. I'm still looking for a return to the classic Star Fox 64 on-rails style that made the series great but the core gameplay of Star Fox is present and stills feel excellent, even with steering with a stylus.

9. Okami (PS2) - One of the more unique looking games introduced last year and though I am not close to beating it, I've still enjoyed it enough to put it up on my list. A great artstyle, with a charming story, funny characters, and great Zelda-like gameplay. Too bad Clover studios got shut down.

8. Mega Man X Collection (GCN) - The 2nd iteration of one my most favorite franchises. Though I prefer the first three over the last three all of them give good Mega Man action. As it is, X2 ranks as one of my most favorite games of all time.

7. Trauma Center: 2nd Opinion (Wii) - I missed this on the DS (well I played a little) but the Wii version looks like it improves on some things. Provides a decent challenge and some really addicting challenges.

6. Brain Age (DS) - The real oddball on my list. Never thought a game based on mental exercises could be so addicting but for about 2 and a half months I played all the games regularly and still play the Sudoku game, which comes as a bonus but is better done than other stand alone versions.

5. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - A return to the classic style of Mario platforming with some 3D touches thrown in to make for a very entertaining and memorable game. May not pack as much of the charm of it's SNES/NES brethren but it has enough to really stand up as a great platformer.

4. Madden NFL 2007 (Wii) - It's amazing what a change in control scheme can do to help revitalize a franchise (and potentially an entire genre) stuck in the slight graphical and roster updates. I've got a season in and sure it looks like a nice XBox or GCN version but with the new controls I'll take them over playing the old way any day. And this is coming from EA, not exactly well known for doing things even slightly differant.

3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2) - Probably how the game should have been in the first place. Pretty much everything I loved about the original version with the benefit of a controllable camera. Plus the original versions of the first two Metal Gear games. I've beaten the first but have yet to get to the 2nd.

2. Guitar Hero (PS2) - My exception to my released in 2006 rule. I got this in late October and have probably put more hours into this game than any other, except my number 1. I'm not a big music fan (or music game fan for that matter) so for this game to grab me like it has, speaks volumes for its quality. I do intend to buy the next one soon.

1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii) - Beaten both and find neither is particularly superior to the other. They each have their strengths which make them both fine choices depending on your situation. It doesn't matter though, this is the first game I've beaten in less than two weeks that last this long (Wii version) since probably Metroid Prime and the first game to grab me by the collar and not let go until I finished since quite possibly Ocarina of Time back in '98. Best Zelda ever? Hard to say. I'll tell you if I've beaten it 20+ times like OoT and ALttP or even 10+ like Link's Awakening. But whichever way you intend to go, whether you want to start your Wii collection off right or end your GCN collection right, this game is good for both.

Honorable Mentions

Metal Slug Anthology - Another compilation but since the true value of the games are in the multiplayer, I haven't played enough of it.

Tetris DS - I love Tetris. Everyone loves Tetris. If you don't love Tetris, you probably suck.

Metroid Prime Hunters - Graphically this game impresses me. Sadly it breaks my fingers when I try to play which isn't the games fault.

Wii Sports - The perfect showcase for the Wii. Even though the games are relatively very simple, they are also very addictive. My favorites would be bowling and baseball.

What I look for in 2007

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - I don't think there can be anything else really. I loved Melee and even tiny improvements should make this great. Just don't lose Zelda/Shiek, I loves them.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption - I've loved the Prime series so far, can't imagine why I won't love this.

Super Mario Galaxy - I really have no doubts that this will be another great Mario platformer.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Though I know little about this other than it is the sequel to The Wind Waker, I can't wait to see what Nintendo does with it.

No More Heroes - Made by the guys who did Killer 7. If it can match the plain off the wall nature of K7 it should be good.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - RE though C:V scenarios with a RE4 style gameplay? Count me in.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - If it is going to be an 360 game I may go for it eventually.

More great Virtual Console games. So far the releases have been solid (for the most part, there are some NES additions that are not too hot). With a huge library of games for all 5 of these systems, Nintendo (and Sega and Hudson) really doesn't have an excuse to not give us a great selection of old school games.

Games Released in 2006 that I want to play

Rayman: Raving Rabbids - Those quirky little rodents.

Guitar Hero 2 - Only played a little bit of this but I wants it.

Yoshi's Island DS - I loved the original and I'm hearing lots of good things about this sequel.

Labels: , , , , ,


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com